About the LRC

As one of the premier academic law libraries in the country, the Pardee Legal Research Center (LRC) serves as an invaluable resource for students and faculty, in particular, as well as alumni and members of the public. The Law School Library originally existed on the third floor of the main USD law school building, Warren Hall. In 1973, the law library moved to the old Knights of Columbus building, founded in 1958.  Originally, the Knights of Columbus hall housed the university's College of Men's library.  With the generous help of Marvin and Lillian Kratter, the law library was greatly expanded.  Fund-raising in the eighties led to a two-year construction project, completed in 1990 thanks to the single largest gift in the Law School’s history—a $2.5 million commitment from university trustee George M. Pardee Jr. and his wife Katherine. The law library officially became the LRC at a September 21, 1990 ceremony.

The building now houses a number of different law school groups and functions:  the LRC containing the law library and all the related library offices in the lower level, first, second, and three mezzanine floors; a grouping of 13 faculty offices on the third floor; three classrooms, two off the North entrance on the first floor and one in the library on the second floor; and three centers (the Center for Public Interest Law, the Children’s Advocacy Institute, and the Energy Policy Initiatives Center).  All the Centers are on the lower level, and all are entered from the South side parking lot. 

The LRC continues to grow to support the educational missions of the School of Law and the university.


Pardee Legal Research Center
Pardee Legal Research Center
Main: (619) 260-4542
Reference: (619) 260-4612
Fax: (619) 260-4616

Current Hours of Operation

Facebook Blog