November 23, 2011
Click here if you are having trouble viewing this email
What Student Affairs is Thankful For
As we celebrate this Thanksgiving holiday, we are reminded of the many blessings we have as individuals and as a community. So, we asked our Student Affairs team to tell us what they are thankful for and were overwhelmed by the response!
- "I am thankful that I will be with my daughter in Alaska, for my health, friends and you!" -Kily Jones
- "I am thankful for my family, my colleagues,
USD's Christian Roots, San Diego and that I am still here!" -Greg Zackowski
- "I'm thankful to have gotten married this year to my beautiful wife and forever best friend, and the blessings and unity that come with the sacredness of marriage!" -Ryan Bennett
- "I am thankful for all the hard work put in by the Community Director's on duty this semester. Long weekends, long nights, and being available 24/7 for days at time while handling some of the most difficult situations on campus while the rest of us sleep is definitely something worth giving thanks for!" -Eric Embacher
- "I am thankful for amazing colleagues who have provided so much support and encouragement throughout these past few challenging months." -Marie Minnick
- "I am thankful for my family and friends, and for the opportunity to work with and study with so many amazing people at USD!" -Nicole Lucas
- "I am really grateful for all of the Residential Life staff who have worked very hard this semester, and handled some challenging situations with humor, grace and patience. I am also grateful for my family, as they are my inspiration!" -Dayanne Izmirian
- "I am thankful for a USD family that cares, above and beyond their job descriptions, for our students." -Mandy Womack
- "I'm thankful for the support of my husband. I'm thankful for the opportunity to live in beautiful San Diego where the sun shines bright and the ocean is just steps away. I'm thankful for the opportunity to pursue a career in my passion for helping others." -Emily Maestas
- "I am thankful for my family, friends and knowing that everything will be ok." -Kenny Eng
- "I am thankful for wonderful family, friends and for having a job that I truly enjoy going to each and every day." -Serena Boyd
- "I am thankful for family, caring co-workers and classmates, and the opportunity to still be at USD." -Brandon McCreary
A Thanksgiving Prayer
O good and gracious God!
Make us grateful for all you have given us;
let our needs and desires not blind us to all we have.
Make us grateful for those who love us;
let no grudge or anger keep us from family and friends.
Make us grateful for those who are with us;
let no grief isolate us from their loving embrace.
Make us grateful for the good work we have done:
let our failures not weigh us down
or blind us to your mercy.
Make us grateful for the freedom we enjoy;
let us never take it for granted.
Make us grateful for the peace we find in you;
let no other cause or victory take its place.
Make us grateful for our dreams;
let no disappointment keep us from hope.
Make us grateful for our faith in you;
let no doubt keep us from your love.
Make us grateful for the meal we are about to share
and make us mindful of those who have so much less.
May we be strengthened to change
what keeps so many hungry while others have too much.
Give us grateful hearts, O God,
to praise and thank you
in good times and in bad,
in sickness and in health,
in joy and in sorrow.
This is the day you have made, O Lord:
let us rejoice, be glad
and for it give you thanks and praise!
Holiday Volunteer Opportunities
There is no better time to exercise and exemplify the university's core value of compassionate service like the holiday season. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities, be sure to contact the Center for Service Learning and University Ministry. You can also participate in other community service programs offered through organizations like VolunteerMatch.org and San Diego Rescue Mission.
VPSA Office Hand Turkeys
One of our ongoing traditions in the Vice President for Student Affairs Office Suite is to fellowship while we design and create fun and festive hand turkeys. This year was no exception!
On a related note, the President Obama will be pardoning the national turkey on November 24, 2011. You can watch it all unfold live at: whitehouse.gov/live.
Please send any news or events for the upcoming week to Kenny Eng by Wednesdays at 12pm to be included in this newsletter.
Imagining the Core- Open Forum
Hahn UC Forum A
For more event information, click here
Student Affairs Newsletter Archive
Click here for an archive of Student Affairs newsletters
Wellness Group Meetings
Click here for a list of the Wellness group meetings and topics
University Ministry Events
Click here for a list of University Ministry events
Student Affairs Department Newsletters
Click here for an archive of Campus Rec newsletters
Click here for an archive of Residential Life newsletters
Sign up to receive the UFMC newsletter here
Weekends @ USD
See sandiego.edu/weekends for a list of upcoming events
CHR Basketball Tailgate
Men's Basketball vs. St. Mary's (Televised)
Jan 5, 6pm
Jenny Craig Pavilion
Free Yoga Classes
Click here for more info
Employee Bible Studies
Tuesdays at 12pm
French Parlor, Founders Hall (English)
Thursdays at 11:30am
Facilities Lunchroom (Spanish)