November 18, 2011
Click here if you are having trouble viewing this email
2012 Torero Board and Preceptorial Assistant Councils Announced
Help us recognize the new Torero Board and Preceptorial Assistant Council.
||Preceptorial Assistant Council
|Alison Mackey – Chair
||Toni DeGuire — Chair
|Liz Pun – Transfer Chair
2012 Social Innovation Challenge
The Center for Peace and Commerce (CPC) in partnership with the USD Changemaker Hub is inviting all graduate and undergraduate students to participate in the 2012 Social Innovation Challenge (SIC). The SIC is a bottom-up endeavor that responds to students’ interests and call to action.
A committee will evaluate the projects and select those that are inspiring and that appear to be feasible from a financial and human perspective. Projects selected will receive funds (out of a total of $30,000) and mentorship for making ideas for social change come to fruition. All projects will receive feedback throughout the process.
To inspire, inform and help implement we have the following mechanisms:
- SIC Commercial: We provide three slides in a Power Point that serve as a tool to help you promote the challenge to your classrooms. It can be found online at: http://www.sandiego.edu/cpc/sic/An_Overview.php
- Idea Labs: These sessions are designed to provide examples of projects and to open up conversation with those who have created them regarding the hurdles they have encountered and their solutions to achieve project goals. The next Idea Lab, entitled, Ideas in Action, will be on December 1, 2011 from 12:15-1:30 p.m. in IPJ room G. Students who attend will learn about 2011 winners’ projects. Please direct students to RSVP at http://www.sandiego.edu/cpc/sic/ .
- Online Chats: Informational chats are scheduled over the next few weeks to answer queries. Learn more: http://www.facebook.com/USDCPC
- Class Presentations: We have organized a group of members of the CPC Student Committee and CPC staff that would be happy to introduce the 2012 SIC in any of your classes. The presentation takes only 5 minutes. If you prefer to do the presentation yourself, we are including three slides that will help explain all the information.
- Website: www.sandiego.edu/cpc/sic). We have placed numerous readings and examples of projects on our site.
SIC Application Process
- Application Deadline: The deadline for applying is February 17, 2012. The application link can be found on the 2012 Social Innovation Challenge website at: www.sandiego.edu/cpc/sic/Application.php
- Social Innovation Challenge Process:
- Phase 1 Application due February 17, 2012
- Presentation before a panel of experts: March 2, 2012
- Phase 2 Final Proposals due: April 2, 2012
- Awards Ceremony: April 27, 2012
- Final Presentations: December 2012
- Mentorship: Students whose projects are selected will receive continuous support during the implementation process from mentors belonging to USD faculty community and a group of external representatives of nonprofit and for profit organizations identified by the Center for Peace and Commerce. Mentorship: www.sandiego.edu/cpc/sic/Mentorship.php
AshokaU Employee Involvement
If you are interested in getting involved with the AshokaU movement on campus, please fill out the form linked here and send it to Danielle Barbeau in Serra Hall 315 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The USD AshokaU core group is currently exploring options for how to involve employees with this initiative and they welcome any suggestions.
Catholic Social Thought Ambassadors
Any employee who is interested in serving as a Catholic Social Thought Ambassador for the university should attend an informational luncheon Thursday, December 8th, 12:00 noon - 1:30 pm. The event will be held in the KIPJ. Those from all walks of faiths welcome. Please RSVP to email@example.com so the appropriate number of lunches will be ordered.
Please send any news or events for the upcoming week to Kenny Eng by Wednesdays at 12pm to be included in this newsletter.
Imagining the Core- Open Forum
Hahn UC Forum A
For more event information, click here
Student Affairs Newsletter Archive
Click here for an archive of Student Affairs newsletters
Wellness Group Meetings
Click here for a list of the Wellness group meetings and topics
University Ministry Events
Click here for a list of University Ministry events
Student Affairs Department Newsletters
Click here for an archive of Campus Rec newsletters
Click here for an archive of Residential Life newsletters
Sign up to receive the UFMC newsletter here
Weekends @ USD
See sandiego.edu/weekends for a list of upcoming events
CHR Basketball Tailgate
Men's Basketball vs. St. Mary's (Televised)
Jan 5, 6pm
Jenny Craig Pavilion
Free Yoga Classes
Employee Bible Studies
Tuesdays at 12pm
French Parlor, Founders Hall (English)
Thursdays at 11:30am
Facilities Lunchroom (Spanish)